PersonalFit breast shields
One size does not always fit all, so Medela developed PersonalFit breast shields in a range of sizes to meet every mom's needs.Medela offers five sizes of Medela contact breast shields to meet every mum's needs and to ensure high comfort and efficiency during pumping.Breast shields play a key role in pumping comfort and efficiency. Having an incorrect size breast shield can hinder milk supply and possibly cause nipple trauma.
That’s why Medela offers multiple breast shield options and sizes; PersonalFit™ is available in 21 mm, 24 mm, 27 mm, 30 mm, 36 mm and PersonalFit™ Flex is available in 21 mm, 24 mm, 27 mm, 30 mm.
The 24 mm breast shield is the standard shield that comes with Medela breast pumps. However, nipple size can vary and some women benefit from a size other than the 24 mm. It is almost impossible to tell which size breast shield is the best fit without watching the nipple movement during pumping.
Should you try a new size?
• Does your nipple rub sides of tunnel, to the point of causing discomfort?
• Do you see excessive areola being pulled into tunnel?
• Do you see any redness?
• Is your nipple or areola turning white?
• Do you feel unexpressed milk after pumping?
Did you know?
• Pressing breast shields too hard could block milk ducts.
• Your breast shield size will depend on your breast tissue and skin elasticity.
• When you apply vacuum pressure, your nipple size could change.
• Your breast shield size could change over the duration of your pumping experience.
• You may even need a different size per breast.